Thursday, January 12, 2012

Quiet Time...Ahhh

I was recently listening to an inspirational CD about how to help children to fall in love with reading. One of the suggestions that I added to my schedule was Quiet Time. I've tried it before, but like most things, my inconsistency failed to make it a successful. After homeschooling for four years, my capacity to develop new habits has increased and Quiet Time is a wonderful addition to our schedule. After two weeks of it, I wonder how I ever did without it!

After lunch, we clean up (the kitchen and their zones) and everyone goes to their designated space (mostly their bedrooms minus my oldest who reads in the loft/schoolroom area). I give one of the children a timer so they know it will end (if I didn't I might stretch the hour into two!) The younger ones who cannot read yet listen to CDs such as Brite, Scripture Scouts, etc. while the older ones may read classics. And I? I STUDY! I've always wanted to incorporate consistent study time into my daily routine, but it was rather elusive (I take full responsibility for making it so!). It has been incredible that a small, consistent habit like this leads to learning in leaps and bounds for me.

The craziest thing of all is that the kids LOVE it. I'm not sure if they love the structure, consistency or the actual quiet time but so far they ask for it everyday like it's something to look forward to. I've been told it takes 21 days to make a habit. In that case, one more week to go!

1 comment:

  1. We do this too, I couldn't live without our quiet time after lunch! It also helps keep it quiet for the boys to take naps!

    ReplyDelete