Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Mathematical Journey

My daughter (12 years) and I have been going on a math journey every (school) day since the new year. Both of us are trying to change our paradigm about mathematics, but for different reasons. She has a mindset that math is difficult for her and I, having loved math in school, am trying to see math in a more holistic, artistic sense.

We began by reading "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart (I should note that the friend that recommended these resources to me mentioned there is a reference to something inappropriate but I didn't notice it since my daughter was reading and it went over her head--thought I'd give you a heads up though). We both enjoyed it again probably for different reasons. She liked the dialogue and big words and I enjoyed his refreshing perspective on math.

We are also reading some wonderful resources that have helped us to enjoy doing math together.

Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks by Arthur Benjamin is a great way to instantly increase the confidence of a child who knows her basic facts.

We do one puzzle a day from Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles by Martin Gardner. It has been good for us to talk through the puzzles and even if we don't get it right, we feel good about exploring all the options we can think of first and then seeing how it should be solved.

Lastly we read from The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures by Malba Tahan. My daughter LOVES to read so this has been fun to follow their adventures. We don't always figure out all the math but she enjoys the story so I am focusing on exposure.

I hesitate to mention this one but since I feel like it has helped me think in a new way, I should mention I started to read The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Vol. 1: Books 1-2 by Euclid on my own. Before you get too impressed, I should clarify that I have only read the definitions which is a little over a page! However, just pondering on the meaning of the first definition broadened my mind. And I am holding onto the belief that if we lead out, our children will follow.

(A great article on some math resources can be found at tjed.org.)

Since we've begun our mathematical journey, I am looking at things in a new way. Particularly in the scriptures, I have noticed mathematical concepts. Today while studying to teach Sunday School, I noticed a pattern. I looked the word pattern up on dictionary.com and didn't find a satisfactory definition so I pulled out my Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary and this is what I found:

Pattern--An original or model proposed for imitation; the archtype; an exemplar; that which is to be copied or imitated, either in things or in actions; as in the pattern of a machine; a pattern of patience. Christ was the most perfect pattern of rectitude, patience and submission ever exhibited on earth.

Suddenly, mathematical concepts came jumping out at me all during church. A man spoke of the sequence of things, there were symbols in a vision, I recognized a dichotomy of ideas (a distribution of ideas by pairs), etc. It is as if God uses the language of mathematics to get our attention, to tell us THIS IS IMPORTANT--DO THIS! I feel like an infant exploring the rudimentary elements of life but my desire and capacity to learn, ponder and search is being magnified and increased. My paradigm is shifting...

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your new posts. Keep it up! Dina, you are so inspiring about math. I think I might check out some of your resources.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Lisa! So glad to see your face. Game night soon?

    ReplyDelete