Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lead Out

Last night we had a simulation at our combine Shakespeare and Key of Liberty Parent Night. It was the first one that I made up from scratch and I had no real way of trying it out first to see if it would be successful. To add to my insecurity, both the parents and students would be participating.

A simulation, for those who have yet to participate in one, is an experience in which the participants take on a role in a fictitious setting. This type of learning is hands-on and very enlightening since you are actually experiencing first hand history, life, leadership, etc. Whereas reading a book or watching an educational program is more of a third person, somewhat removed experience. Simulations can be powerful because you learn crucial aspects about yourself, for example, how you react in different situations, but in a safe environment. That way if there is something you don't like about yourself, you can take steps to improve before you are placed in a situation where it is too late.

In creating last night's simulation, which was really quite simple, I had to think of a need or purpose, create a scenario and environment for that scenario, create roles and gather materials, devise a time bomb that would help the experience come to a climax by adding pressure for the students to act and lastly prepare to conduct a debriefing where the participants share their individual experiences. The last part is the most critical since it helps students to see their experience through other's eyes, to share insights and epiphanies they may have had and to go deeper into what principles made the experience so meaningful.

I realized while brainstorming and using people as sounding boards for my ideas that I felt very vulnerable. I wanted everyone to have a meaningful experience and for my purpose to be accomplished--I just wanted something I knew would work! So many times when we become a leader in whatever capacity, we put ourselves out on a limb. We open ourselves up to criticism and even ridicule by leading out.

Last night I learned (while watching the participants feel that same vulnerability I felt in creating the simulation) that if you don't take that risk then you will never know if you will succeed. I knew this already but it was reinforced by my experience. The fear of failure sometimes paralyzes us from acting. I love Thomas Edison's perspective on failure. He said,"Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward..."

Next time I feel that vulnerability, I will change my perspective from worrying I will make a fool out of myself to being excited that I have an opportunity to grow and learn--a step closer to the person I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment