Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Planning

I've noticed my best days happen when I take the time to plan. Planning involves more than list making, although creating lists are a big part of it for me. I just spent almost a half-an-hour planning. Today it included making a menu for at least a week and from that making a grocery list, looking at my calendar and putting any events on my daily to-do list to keep them present in my mind (I've been known to forget many an activity), looking at what I want to accomplish and when I will do those things.

It is important to think thoroughly and detailed at these items if I want to be effective. I can stuff my daily to-dos full of things that would be nice to accomplish but at the end of the day it only leaves me feeling unproductive and frustrated. I've learned to be realistic and only write down those things I really want to accomplish. That way I can commit to those items and begin my day with determination to finish the list.

I noticed this crazy phenomenon when I have become more consistent in my planning, scheduling and execution: my children follow my lead. If I am haphazard about my day, everything is harder. It's harder to get the kids to clean, do school, follow anything I say. When I try to stay on task, my kiddos follow suit. Sometimes it's not fair I think that so much depends on us moms. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody's happy--that kind of thing. Sometimes I wish I could just be grumpy! But when you look at the other side of coin, isn't nice to have much of the power to create wonderful days and happy children?

No comments:

Post a Comment