Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Didn't We Just Eat?!

Lately I have been hearing, "I'm hungry." and "I'm starving!" or "Tengo hambre." And all I can think of is that we just ate an hour ago!! So this week since we have company and no school, I decided to declare war on hunger! I have planned every meal of the day and two snack times at 10 and 3 for the next week. I thought I would share some of the snack ideas I found in my search because sometimes we need some ideas to get us out of our food ruts.

Homemade Trail Mix--these are less expensive than store-bought, easy to throw together, they'll always be a hit since you can put the ingredients they like in it. Some of the mixes I've done: peanuts, pretzels and craisins; almonds, chocolate chips, pretzels, Rice Chex and banana chips; really the possibilities are endless!

Apples, Almonds, String Cheese

Yogurt Parfait--again your only limits here is your creativity and your kids' taste buds. I've done layered granola, vanilla yogurt and strawberries. My mom threw together frozen blueberries, yogurt, almonds and a dash of cinnamon.

Veggies and Dip--one recipe I'm trying this week: Peel and chop 1 ripe avocado; place in a medium bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp cumin or oregano. Makes 2 cups. Serve with cut-up raw vegetables.

Another recipe I found--Apple-Cheese English Muffin Pizzas
Split and toast 2 English muffins, slice1 large apple and cut 4 square slices of Cheddar cheese in half. Spread each muffin half with 1 tbsp of cream cheese; top with apple slices and 2 pieces of cheese. Heat in toaster oven 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Dot with dried cranberries.

Green/Fruit Smoothies--My friend Tammie has delicious smoothie recipes on her blog Simple, Healthy, Tasty

Homemade Protein/Energy Bars--I'm trying some recipes here (if you look on the left side bar there are more recipes like that one). I've yet to try them but they look good.

Any good ideas? Please add to the list! Have a great snack!

6 comments:

  1. My daughter and I just sat down and made a snack list a few days ago:

    whole grain apple muffins
    no bake oatmeal cookies (greenereating blog)
    apples and peanut/almond butter
    bananas dipped in yogurt
    homemade bread and jam
    green smoothies
    whole grain zucchini/banana bread
    homemade granola bars
    chocolate chic (chickpea) cookies
    lots of fresh fruit

    I have yet to train my children to love hummus, quacamole and bean dips like I do, but that will open up all kinds of new snacks for them!

    Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks for sharing...you added some great snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love apple slices with peanut butter. The protein helps curb the hunger. Also frozen go-gurts are to DIE for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you don't know me but I am a fan of yours:) Some of my kids' favorite healthy snacks are:

    -frozen corn and peas
    -frozen grapes
    -oatmeal mixed with peanut butter, raisins, and walnuts
    -homemade whole wheat bread cut out with cookie cutters and then cooked in a non-stick frying pan
    -jicama cut in strips
    -a can of chickpeas
    -celery with peanut butter and raisins
    -bananas with peanut butter (can add raisins)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!! I'm glad you shared. My kids love frozen veggies too. They call frozen green beans "green bean ice cream"...whatever works right?! We also love jicama and I'm definitely going to cut my bread with shapes--so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I should add a great lunch idea I found in my crazed search for new ideas. You take a tortilla (we have been using the uncooked ones from Costco--so in that case cook it) then spread cream cheese on it, top with ham and shredded carrots. Roll it up and cut it in half then enjoy. Most of my people love it. For those who don't I spread peanut butter and jelly on it.

    ReplyDelete