Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Here Are A Few Of My NEW Favorite Things

There are several really WONDERFUL things about this picture.
  • First, I now have my very own CLASSROOM! It has been soooo nice to have a space set apart for learning. It seems to set the mood for hitting the books helping keep my children's attention. I have switched from nomad homeschooling to a homesteader style : )
  • Notice behind the studious people there are IKEA bookshelves that contribute to my sanity and organization. Yay! Happy space, happy price.
  • Please note my two oldest children studying diligently (and willingly I might add) with their grandfather. You may want to be seated for this next part...they are studying MATH! Grandparents and other relatives have so much to offer in way of enriching our children's education. Take advantage of your resources!
I will add another view of our classroom to point out a couple more of my new favorite things...


  • Posters are a great way to "inspire, not require" learning. Earlier this year I bought two posters at a museum and they have been the best investment. My children love to read, memorize, talk about, make up stories about the facts listed on these posters. Even my two-year old points to mammals and asks me to name them.
  • I'm not sure where I read this idea but I love it! All along three walls of our school room I put up some butcher paper to make a time line of the history of the world. We only have a handful of events on there, but already I have seen how it helps to order historic events in my mind. My children actually get excited when we come across a date when studying history.
Not pictured is a white board that has helped not only as a way of explaining a concept but also encourages art, writing, self-expression. I feel like I am getting closer to my vision of home education. I would love to hear other tips that have helped you!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun classroom! Great job as always. You always inspire me :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete