Thursday, January 19, 2012

Consistency

It's 8:22 am, I haven't finished my Morning Routine from my previous post, and I'm rushing to write a post so that I can begin our Morning Devotional on time. I take great comfort in a journal entry by John Adams recorded on July 21, 1756:

I am resolved to rise with the sun and to study Scriptures on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings, and to study some Latin author the other three mornings. Noons and nights I intend to read English authors....I will rouse up my mind and fix my attention. I will stand collected within myself and think upon what I read and what I see. I will strive with all my soul to be something more than persons who have had less advantages than myself.

But the next morning he slept until seven and a one-line entry the following week read, "A very rainy day. Dreamed away the time." (McCullough, John Adams, p. 41)

He became a great statesman so I am hoping there is a wide margin for error : )

No comments:

Post a Comment