Thursday, August 19, 2010

Disclaimer

A couple of months ago a friend of mine told me she stopped reading my blog because she felt overwhelmed and pressured to do what I was doing. I really had to take a step back and search my motives and intentions for this blog. I originally thought I could create a place where people would share ideas—an ongoing brainstorming session—that would get a reader’s creative juices flowing. The idea was to use what would work well for their family and disregard the rest. But was that what I was really accomplishing? Or was I simply overwhelming my readers?

I took the summer off from my blog to mull these questions over in my mind. Upon closer inspection I remembered I do have the tendency to want to fix people’s problem (I come by it honestly from my mother ; ). Perhaps that was coming through in my writing. Also as a human I think I naturally put my best foot forward—was I being authentic with my audience? I could do better with follow-up posts as well telling if things worked out over time. Perhaps most importantly I learned or relearned that each family has the ability and stewardship to know what they should be doing in their families.

My friend and I had a good talk. She told me that she had decided there were a few simple things she felt her family needed right then and that was what she was going to do. You as parents will know as you seek inspiration from God what you should be doing with your children. This is simply a place to spark ideas that will ignite your children’s fire for learning.

I have really missed posting this summer. Blogging for me is like thinking out loud. Writing helps me to wrap my mind around principles and assimilate them into my life. So when you read, please take what I say with a grain of salt and hopefully you will share some ideas and find one or two that inspire you.

5 comments:

  1. Dina I don't even really know you all that well but you are a wonderful example to me!! Everything I have ever read on your blog has inspired me to be a better mom and teacher.

    I personally have missed your great ideas and have never felt overwhelmed by your suggestions. So don't hold back girl!! All of us home school moms need your input so SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blogging world has sort of distorted the lines as to our private and personal lives, that's for sure. I often have to step back and remind myself that the blogs I read really are most often people's best ideas and their best selves. None of us blog regularly about all the dismal things that happen in our lives. So I remind myself that I can't compare the best of what I read about other people with the worst parts of myself. I can only find the good in what I see others doing and try to share the good I do and hopefully we help each other along the way. It is, however, very true that you always have and always will be a hard act to follow :) We all just keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! I promise I wasn't fishing for compliments but you two have most certainly made my day : ) Ali--your baby is BEAUTIFUL. Congrats! Steph--your comments made me want to kick up my feet and create something...for Christmas maybe. I miss the old days when life was simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad that our conversation caused you to second guess yourself, but happy to read you realized that my problems are just that, My problems. I love and admire you and, in all honesty, envy your ambition a little bit. It is my choice to be motivated by your inspiration, or to feel intimidated. Forcing myself out of my comfort zone is scary and uncomfortable and I've been fighting the change a little bit. But the world will certainly benefit from what you have learned and what you have to say, so I say, give the people what they want! ;)

    I am honored to be your friend and to be among such great women. The greatness is rubbing off, and slowly but surely I am uncovering my greatness as well.

    Hugs to you, and thanks for your patience with me when I put my foot in my mouth and say things that I shouldn't. Keep on blogging, PA-LEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete