Monday, June 29, 2009

Thoughts on Chores

Today was DAY #1 of implementing our new chore system. It is called HAnnDi Household Work Systems by Diann Jeppson and Annette Jones. Here's the lowdown..

This system is actually two systems in one. The first system (Diann's) is for those who have a pretty good handle on keeping their house clean but just need a system to teach their children to do so. Then there is a more involved system (Annette's) to teach the children and the mother to maintain a clean household. I think I'm somewhere in between but have opted to set up Annette's system to help me to create good habits.

Here are the objectives of Annette's work system (Diann's are included in these):

1. Get the work done that MUST be done and the work that SHOULD be done -- define both.
2. Allow for teaching children how to do the work.
3. Be comprehensive.
4. Be fair and include the element of choice.
5. Provide an easy way to supervise in a positive manner and help us stay motivated.
6. Allow for flexibility and is easy to operate.
7. Offer a long-term work solution.
8. Integrate Adult Skills classes.
9. Help me to organize the amount of work to be done in manageable amounts.
10. Help to establish habits of order and cleanliness.

Here is a picture of our "work system headquarters". You can click on the picture for more detail. I made the pockets. You could buy them, but if you like to sew these cost around $8 to make ($6 for the vinyl lettering). The clear vinyl I got at Wal-Mart in their remnants section and paid under $2. I had to sew it with tissue paper (wrapping kind) on each side to help feed the material through the machine. You could also choose a different material or material and the vinyl...the possibilities are endless! It took me a day to make them. (By the way, Diann explains her version in her book A Thomas Jefferson Home Companion.)

At the home school convention I attended last year I asked Angela Baker advice about homeschooling and she said if she could go back to where I was at the time, she would just take the entire school year to teach her children how to work. I thought that seemed pretty drastic, but at the end of this year I realize I should have listened! When everyone in the family knows how to work and pitches in, there will be more time to inspire, discover and create! Today went very smoothly and I've decided THIS is our school until we all learn how to work!

Here are some other ideas on chores that might be helpful:

  • My friend Becca has laminated charts for each child that has set chores each week. When the child has accomplished the job, he fills in a bubble by the chore completed. This system helps children get really good at a few jobs.
  • My sister Angie told me about Handipoints. It is a fun, free program that allows children and parents to track chores on the computer or print out weekly chore charts. Each chore has a value attached that are accumulated and used for a "cool cat" they get to create and play with in HandiLand.
  • My friend Emily rotates one job weekly allowing children to get familiar with a different job for smaller periods of time so they don't get bored. Because they know what their weekly job is, her kids just do it without having to be reminded. The children are still responsible for their everyday jobs like taking care of their person (teeth, hair, getting dressed) and their personal belongings like making their beds.

If you have any ideas that have worked for you, please share! Once you've found something that works for you--stick with it!! I think my stick-with-itability will be the key to my success. I'll keep you posted...

4 comments:

  1. I have thought about getting this system. I'll check back with you in about a month....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, it's great. I am an organize freak and can't seem to make any chore chart work for very long. What do you classify as adult skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adult skills would include tracking ads/coupons, teaching about finances, planning menus, grocery shopping, and baking. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete